The Best All-Natural & Organic Lip Balms For Dry Lips
Want a clean lip balm that’s loaded with nourishing ingredients? We’re sharing the best clean, all-natural and organic lip balm brands that are free from toxic additives. My top clean lip balm picks will heal, soothe, and soften your dry, chapped lips.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
There’s nothing more essential than a tube of lip balm for hydrating and soothing dry, chapped lips. Especially here in Colorado, I’m constantly trying to balance out the less-than-ideal side effects from dry air and high altitude. So I’ve got lip balm stashed in my purse, in the car, bedside and in the bathroom cabinet at all times.
Whether you’re suffering from chapped, peeling lips or you just want to keep your lips well-hydrated, make sure you’re swiping on an all-natural or organic lip balm.
Lip Balm is the first CLEAN SWAP I recommend when switching to non-toxic skincare. Whatever you put on your lips will pass into your mouth and beyond through licking, drinking and eating. It’s basically like eating your lip balm.
The skin on your lips is structurally different than the skin on the rest of your body. The topmost protective layer, called the stratum corneum, is much thinner on the lips. The lips also have little to no oil-producing glands, and are prone to dryness and cracking. That’s why lips can use a boost from a moisturizing, nourishing balm to protect from chapping and peeling.
Instead of grabbing a lip balm made with conventional ingredients that can leave your lips drier, irritate the thin skin around your lips and potentially affect your hormones and cause other health issues, reach for all-natural or organic lip balm that doesn’t contain harmful or toxic ingredients and is full of fatty acids to hydrate, soothe and nourish your lips.
HOW TO CHOOSE A NATURAL OR ORGANIC LIP BALM
There are a few ways to look for a product that’s safe and non-toxic. Put your lip balm brand in the search box of EWG’s Skin Deep Database. If the brand you are searching for is not in the database, search the ingredients individually.
Kosas Lipfuel Active Lip Balm
- My Take: I’m loving this hydrating lip balm. I got the clear lip balm, but it also comes in 2 colors – pulse and rush. It glides on smoothly and is super hydrating and moisturizing. I am definitely happy with this purchase and will keep this lip balm by my bedstand from now on! It is on the expensive side for lip balm, but totally worth it!
- From the Kosas website: Lip care made for action. An ultra-hydrating hyaluronic lip balm loaded with active skincare ingredients. Feels amazing and visibly improves the condition of lips the more you wear it.
eos Sweet Mint Stick Organic Lip Balm
- My take: This lip balm went on smoothly every time, and the sweet mint flavor is irresistible. I got super hydration from this lip balm, and the price fits my budget. Some reviews mentioned that they needed to reapply this product very often, but I found that I didn’t need to reapply any more often than any of the other lip balms I tested. Definitely a keeper!
- From the eos website: Treat your lips to an all-natural balm that’s bursting with flavor and moisture. eos Organic Sweet Mint Lip Balm will swipe you into a dreamy daze with notes of just-picked, smooth, mellow mint. Hydrates, soothes, and enhances lips. Certified organic, 100% all-natural, hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested.
All Good Certified Organic Coconut Lip Balm
- My take: This lip balm was another one of my favorites. It went on effortlessly and kept my lips well hydrated without being too slippery. It also doesn’t have a high shine if that’s what you prefer.
- From the All Good website: With just 8 ingredients, this USDA Certified Original lip balm moisturizes with a blend of organic Coconut Flavor.
Hurraw Unscented Lip Balm
- My take: This vegan lip balm goes on smoothly, but was a little slippery on the lips. It was very hydrating.
- From the Hurraw website: Made with organic, VEGAN and raw ingredients. Our unscented balm is nut-oil free and mild; it contains no added flavor. Unscented balm contains cold pressed meadowfoam seed oil; a superstar moisturizer loaded with vitamin e; use it on your lips, your cuticles.
Badger Certified Organic Lip Balm
- My take: This went on smoothly and hydrated my lips well.
- From the Badger website: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Beeswax, & Aloe moisturize and protect lips. Flavored with organic extracts of Vanilla. No petroleum, artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. Leaping Bunny Certified cruelty-free.
Dr. Bronner’s Organic Peppermint Lip Balm
- My take: This lip balm is super pepperminty, maybe a little bit too much. It gave my lips a slight tingly feel. It went on smoothly, but was also on the slippery side. I like that all of the ingredients are organic.
- From the Dr. Bronner’s website: COOL with Peppermint scent organic lip balm. Dr. Bronner’s Organic Lip Balms, made with organic beeswax, provide a protective barrier to the elements with no synthetic ingredients! Organic jojoba, avocado and hemp oils help with extra moisturization. Only the finest essential oils are used for fragrance. Certified organic to USDA National Organic Program standards, because what you put on your lips goes into your body.
Moroccan Magic Coconut Almond Lip Balm
- My take: This lip balm went on smoothly, but was on the slippery side, so it wore off quickly. It also had a slightly bitter aftertaste (although there are lots of other flavors to choose from).
- From the Moroccan Magic website: Whether you’re on a tropical vacation or sitting on your front lawn, let your hair down knowing it won’t stick to your lips. Our Coconut Almond lip balm provides a layer thin enough to protect lips while letting you escape to your very own paradise. FYI- this lip balm contains tree nuts.
Alaffia Ethically Traded Vegan Coconut Lip Balm
- My take: I love that a percentage of proceeds go to a good cause (maternal care, education, and eyeglasses in Africa). It went on smoothly and hydrated well.
- From the Alaffia website: With just 5 ingredients, this vegan lip balm moisturizes with Ethically Traded virgin coconut oil and spearmint essential oil.
100% Pure Organic Mint Lip Balm
- My take: Glides on smoothly and hydrates well. The taste was a little medicinal.
- From the 100% Pure website: Soothing lip balm made with refreshing peppermint and eucalyptus oils. Featuring sunflower and coconut oils to moisturize and soften, plus reparative vitamin E.
Beauty By Earth Organic Lip Balm
- My take: This lip balm did not go on as smoothly as any of the others I tried. However, once applied it hydrated well.
- From the Beauty by Earth website: This lip balm is crafted of the finest natural moisturizing ingredients for soft, healthy lips.