The Best All-Natural & Organic Lip Balms For Dry Lips
The ultimate guide to all-natural and organic lip balm, featuring 16 lip balms that are free from toxic additives and loaded with all-natural and organic ingredients. My top picks will heal, soothe, and soften your dry, chapped lips.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
There’s nothing more essential than a tube of lip balm for hydrating and soothing dry, chapped lips. Especially here in Colorado, I’m constantly trying to balance out the less-than-ideal side effects from dry air and high altitude. So I’ve got lip balm stashed in my purse, in the car, bedside and in the bathroom cabinet at all times.
Whether you’re suffering from chapped, peeling lips or you just want to keep your lips well-hydrated, make sure you’re swiping on an all-natural or organic lip balm.
Lip Balm is the first CLEAN SWAP I recommend when switching to non-toxic skincare. Whatever you put on your lips will pass into your mouth and beyond through licking, drinking and eating. It’s basically like eating your lip balm.
The skin on your lips is structurally different than the skin on the rest of your body. The topmost protective layer, called the stratum corneum, is much thinner on the lips. The lips also have little to no oil-producing glands, and are prone to dryness and cracking. That’s why lips can use a boost from a moisturizing, nourishing balm to protect from chapping and peeling.
Instead of grabbing a lip balm made with conventional ingredients that can leave your lips drier, irritate the thin skin around your lips and potentially affect your hormones and cause other health issues, reach for all-natural or organic lip balm that doesn’t contain harmful or toxic ingredients and is full of fatty acids to hydrate, soothe and nourish your lips.
REASONS FOR DRY LIPS
- Licking your lips- saliva evaporates and dries out lips and irritates lip skin
- Airplane travel- air on planes is dehydrating (low humidity, high altitude)
- Lipstick- ingredients can dry out lips and highlight lip creases
- Toothpaste- tartar control versions can irritate lips
- Lip balms with fragrance can irritate and dry out lips
- Hot showers- wash away protective oils
- UV rays- protect delicate lip skin from the sun with a lip balm containing a mineral sunscreen
- Mouthbreathing- causes lip dehydration
- Indoor heat- sucks moisture out of the air and contributes to dry skin
- Medication- dry mouth can be a side effect of certain drugs, which can cause dry lips too
- Climate- dry air and high altitude can dry out your lips
AVOID THESE INGREDIENTS IN LIP BALM
- BHA and BHT- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHA) and butylated hydroxyanisole (BHT) are preservatives derived from petroleum and found in some lip balm. BHA is an endocrine disruptor and a possible carcinogen (1). BHT is a respiratory irritant and is considered toxic or harmful to human organ systems (2).
- Chemical Sunscreen–Oxybenzone, octinoxate, avobenzone, and octisalate all fall into this category. These chemicals can mimic estrogen and disrupt hormone function (3).
- Menthol, camphor and phenol– The tingly sensation can trick you into thinking there’s some serious healing going on, which is not actually the case. These ingredients can be drying and irritating to the lips. What at first seems refreshing can have the opposite effect in the long run.
- Parabens- Parabens are a type of preservative used to prevent the growth of bacteria and prolong the shelf life of lip balm, deodorant, lotion, and other beauty products. The most commonly used parabens are methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, isobutylparaben and butylparaben. Parabens disrupt hormone function and are linked to increased risk of breast cancer and reproductive toxicity. A 2004 study found high concentrations of parabens in breast tumor samples (4). The European Union banned the use parabens in cosmetics in 2012.
- Petroleum Jelly & Mineral Oil– You might find this listed as petrolatum, mineral oil, liquid paraffin, or paraffin oil on the ingredient list. Petrolatum is a byproduct of oil refining, and was originally discovered in the 1800’s building up in the machinery of an oil rig. Petroleum jelly is highly susceptible to contamination of Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Once PAHs enter the body, they are stored in the kidneys, liver, and fat cells. There are more than 100 types of PAHs, and about 15 are thought to be carcinogenic (cancer-causing). Petroleum jelly also contains xenoestrogens, which interact with hormone receptors and may increase estrogen-related health issues in the body (5).
- Synthetic dyes– Avoid dyes labelled FD&C Blue 1, Yellow 5, and Red 33, which can be found in conventional lip balm, may be contaminated with known carcinogens (6).
- Synthetic fragrance- Beauty products can list fragrance as one ingredient and don’t have to disclose the fact that these formulations may contain hundreds of ingredients. Synthetic Fragrance may contain carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, allergens, respiratory irritants and neurotoxic chemicals (7). Synthetic musks like galaxolide and tonalide, are linked to hormone disruption (8). Fragrance formulations also contain phthalates, which are hormone disruptors
HOW TO CHOOSE A NATURAL OR ORGANIC LIP BALM
There are a few ways to look for a product that’s safe and non-toxic. Put your lip balm brand in the search box of EWG’s Skin Deep Database. If the brand you are searching for is not in the database, search the ingredients individually. Oddly enough, only one of the lip balms I tested was in the EWG database, so I didn’t include rankings below. However, I included ingredients for every lip balm tested at the end of this post.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN NATURAL & ORGANIC LIP BALM
- Hard wax (locks in moisture): Beeswax, candelilla wax, carnauba wax or soy wax
- Room temperature solid oil (for creamy texture and moisture): coconut oil, avocado oil, cocoa butter, shea butter or mango butter
- Room temperature liquid oil (repairs, moisturizes, and contains anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial benefits)- olive oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil or sweet almond oil
- Natural flavors and scents- essential oils for both flavor and scent (peppermint, orange), antioxidants like vitamin E
HOW I TESTED
I wore each lip balm brand (16 kinds) for at least a week, and rated each on the following categories:
- Ease of application- Did the lip balm go on smoothly and effortlessly?
- Is there any bitter after-taste?
- Hydration- Did my lips feels smooth and hydrated an hour after application?
- How well did the product stay in place? I found that a really slippery product would come right off, so I took that into consideration when ranking.
- Overall Score: Is this a product I will keep using and buy again?
- I did not get any compensation or free samples from any of the lip balms reviewed. All lip balms were paid for with my own money.
LIP BALMS TESTED AND RANKED
- Rating: A
- My take: The company that makes this lip balm is based in Carbondale, Colorado, so these ladies know all about dry, chapped lips. This is an excellent lip balm for hydrating and healing, and it’s one of my top picks. It’s a little on the expensive side, but it’s a big tube and lasts a while.
- From the Osmia website: Lip Doctor is made with no essential oils, as even those can be irritating to sensitive lips. It has only six ingredients, including organic olive oil infused with Colorado-grown, organic lavender. Organic cocoa butter and beeswax give it staying power, while organic avocado and argan oils penetrate deeply to help lips stay in healthy, smiling condition.
- Rating: A
- My take: I loved everything about this lip balm. It went on smoothly and stayed put for hours. It was totally hydrating and I loved how soft my lips were. I felt like my lip creases were less noticeable. If you are vegan or vegetarian, this lip balm is not for you.
- From the Primally Pure website: Our natural lip balm is available in 5 delicious scents – all of which contain only a few nourishing ingredients that will give your lips a smooth and healthy feeling that lasts. Ingredients like tallow from grass-fed cows, coconut oil and shea butter deeply moisturize and heal chapped lips. Organic essential oils provide added benefits + flavors for your lips to enjoy.
- Rating: A
- My take: This lip balm went on super smoothly every time, and the sweet mint flavor is irresistible. I got super hydration from this lip balm, and the price fits my budget. Some reviews mentioned that they needed to reapply this product very often, but I found that I didn’t need to reapply any more often than any of the other lip balms I tested. Definitely a keeper!
- From the eos website: Treat your lips to an all-natural balm that’s bursting with flavor and moisture. eos Organic Sweet Mint Lip Balm will swipe you into a dreamy daze with notes of just-picked, smooth, mellow mint. Hydrates, soothes, and enhances lips. Certified organic, 100% all-natural, hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested.
- Rating: A
- My take: This lip balm was another one of my favorites. It went on effortlessly and kept my lips well hydrated without being too slippery.
- From the All Good website: With just 8 ingredients, this USDA Certified Original lip balm moisturizes with a blend of organic Coconut Flavor.
- Rating: A-
- My take: This went on smoothly and hydrated my lips well.
- From the Badger website: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Beeswax, & Aloe moisturize and protect lips. Flavored with organic extracts of Vanilla. No petroleum, artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. Leaping Bunny Certified cruelty-free. Try it. Use it. Never lose it! USDA Certified Organic lip balm from Badger. Our Classic Lip Balm sticks contain Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Beeswax, as well as Organic Aloe, Seabuckthorn and Rosehip extracts. These ingredients moisturize and protect, making these lip balms excellent for facing the elements. They have a light texture, and come in unique flavors made from the real stuff – steam-distilled essential oils, no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners. Badger Organic Lip Balms are smooth and glossy – and they contain a bounty of antioxidants. They moisturize your lips and make them feel great!
- Rating: A-
- My take: This lip balm goes on smoothly and hydrates well. The raspberry flavor was a little on the sweet side (sweetened with stevia).
- From the Bodyceuticals website: Fresh, antioxidant-rich, USDA Certified Organic formula for incredibly soft, healthy lips! This yummy lip treat goes on smooth and has a hint of raspberry flavor! A fun a fruity flavor everyone will love! You may pay a bit more for this small batch balm than other mass market sticks, but for those that want results fast, you will find it is worth its price. Leaves lips feeling soft & healthy, not waxy. Especially made for extremely sensitive, chapped lips Suitable for all ages – “kid-friendly” Vegetarian, food grade formula For all-year, all-weather lip care.
- Rating: A-
- My take: This lip balm goes on smoothly, but was slightly slippery. I find that when a lip balm is too slippery, it wears off more quickly.
- From the Hurraw website: Made with organic, VEGAN and raw ingredients. Our unscented balm is nut-oil free and mild; it contains no added flavor. Unscented balm contains cold pressed meadowfoam seed oil; a superstar moisturizer loaded with vitamin e; use it on your lips, your cuticles.
- Rating: A-
- My take: I wasn’t a huge fan of the rosemary flavor, but luckily it was mild. This lip balm wet on smoothly and hydrated my lips well.
- From the Eco Lips website: Rosemary Mint with Chamomile Mushroom Extract Lip Food invigorates and moisturizes for a smooth, full look. Globally sourced & minimally processed plant-based ingredients in our Lip Food balm provide the ultimate lip soothing and moisturizing experience. Organic golden jojoba oil combined with organic, Fair Trade Certified™ cocoa butter and coconut oil provide the perfect base, while chamomile mushroom extract provides nutritive benefits to naturally plump and moisturize the lips and soothes damage done from the elements. Globally sourced & minimally processed, plant-based ingredients, provides the ultimate lip soothing and moisturizing experience with invigorating rosemary mint flavor.
- Rating: A-
- My take: Went on smoothly and hydrated well. The flavor was just a little too strong for me.
- From the Alba Botanica website: This highly moisturizing and deliciously fruity lip balm treats your lips to a refreshing island treat any time of day. Spearmint, lime and coconut oils, combined with aloe vera and Vitamin E, cool, refresh and moisturize lips. Always 100% vegetarian. Cool minty scent, soothing & hydrating. Features botanically-based emollients Certified USDA Organic by Oregon Tilth.
- Rating: B+
- My take: This lip balm is super pepperminty, maybe a little bit too much. It gave my lips a slight tingly feel. It went on smoothly, but was also on the slippery side. I like that all of the ingredients are organic.
- From the Dr. Bronner’s website: COOL with Peppermint scent organic lip balm. Dr. Bronner’s Organic Lip Balms, made with organic beeswax, provide a protective barrier to the elements with no synthetic ingredients! None! Organic jojoba, avocado and hemp oils help with extra moisturization. Only the finest essential oils are used for fragrance. Certified organic to USDA National Organic Program standards, because what you put on your lips goes into your body.
- Rating: B+
- My take: This lip balm went on smoothly, but was on the slippery side so it wore off quickly. It also had a slightly bitter aftertaste.
- From the Moroccan Magic website: Whether you’re on a tropical vacation or sitting on your front lawn, let your hair down knowing it won’t stick to your lips. Our Coconut Almond lip balm provides a layer thin enough to protect lips while letting you escape to your very own paradise. Tip: Use our Coconut Almond balm for an extra blast of nourishing coconut oil in the colder months. FYI- this lip balm contains tree nuts.
- Rating: B+
- My take: I love that a percentage of proceeds go to a good cause (maternal care, education, and eyeglasses in Africa). It went on smoothly and hydrated well, but I would have liked to see some organic ingredients.
- From the Alaffia website: With just 5 ingredients, this vegan lip balm moisturizes with Ethically Traded virgin coconut oil and spearmint essential oil.
Burt’s Bees Moisturizing Lip Balm (Vanilla Bean)
- Rating: B+
- My take: Went on smoothly and hydrated well. I would have loved it if some of the ingredients were organic.
- From the Burt’s Bees website: A luxuriously complex and comforting lip balm bursting with all-natural vanilla. Couple that with moisturizing Shea Butter and soothing Vitamin E, and you’ve got a true treat for happy lips.
- Rating: B+
- My take: Glides on smoothly and hydrates well. The taste was a little medicinal.
- From the 100% Pure website: Soothing lip balm made with refreshing peppermint and eucalyptus oils. Featuring sunflower and coconut oils to moisturize and soften, plus reparative vitamin E.
- Rating: B
- My take: This lip balm did not go on as smoothly as any of the others I tried. However, once applied it hydrated well.
- From the Beauty by Earth website: There are two paths to the soft, healthy lips you’re looking for. One filled with chemicals, petroleum, soy, and cheap fillers. The other crafted of the finest natural moisturizing ingredients. We know which path you’d rather take, that’s why we created the best Natural Unflavored Lip Balm money can buy.
- Rating: C+
- My take: This lip balm had a bitter aftertaste. It went on smoothly, but it was so slippery that it wore off quickly.
- From the Burt’s Bees website: Kiss dry lips goodbye. Infused with nature’s finest ingredients like Kokum Butter, Shea Butters and antioxidant-rich Marula Oil to replenish skin, this balm packed with butters and oils will melt on your lips. Giving you more butters and less wax than other balms, so your lips will be left soft and super smooth. It’s hydration at its very highest, with no added flavors or fragrances.
SHOP MY FAVORITES FOR DRY LIPS
LIP BALM TIPS
- Be consistent with your lip balm application. Store a few tubes of organic lip balm in your bathroom, on your bedside table, in your purse, and in your car. Apply lip balm after you brush your teeth and whenever your lips feel dry. Continue to apply throughout the day until lips feel smooth and soft.
- Stay Hydrated! Drinking lots of water will keep your lips from getting dry and help prevent cracking.
- Exfoliate your lips. Exfoliating the lips with a gentle exfoliant (like sugar) will help to remove any peeling skin and acts as a humectant, attracting moisture to your lips. Kari Gran Lip Whip Perfector- Buff and Mask is up to the task.
- Apply balm before tint. If you apply lip tint or lipstick, moisturize your lips before adding lip stick to give you smooth, even coverage. The last thing you want is for your lipstick to settle into the cracks in your lips, making them look more dry and scaly.
INGREDIENTS IN THE LIP BALMS TESTED
lavender-infused olea europaea (olive) oil*, persea gratissima (avocado) oil*, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter*, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, cera alba (beeswax)*, argania spinosa (argan) nut oil*
*=CERTIFIED ORGANIC, 87% certified organic ingredients
INGREDIENTS (grapefruit): Organic Beeswax, Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil*, Organic Cocoa Butter*, Organic Tallow from Grass-Fed Cows, Organic Mango Butter, Organic Grapefruit Essential Oil
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Beeswax/Cera Alba (Cire d’abeille)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Flavor (Aroma), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax/Cire de carnauba*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract*, Tocopherol, Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf/Stem Extract*, Beta-Sitosterol, Squalene, Linalool1, Limonene1. *Organic – 1 Component of Flavor
Organic Calendula*, Organic Comfrey*, Organic Lavender*, Organic Plantain* and Organic Yarrow* Infused in Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil* with Organic Beeswax*, and Non-GMO Vitamin E.
*◊Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, *Cera Alba (Beeswax), *Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, *Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla) Fruit Extract, *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, *Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Fruit Extract, *Hippophae Rhamnoides (Seabuckthorn) Fruit Extract, *Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Extract.
*=Certified Organic ◊=Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Certified Organic Calendula Oil, Certified Organic beeswax, Certified Organic raspberry flavor, high potency mixed tocopherol non-GMO Vitamin E and Organic Stevia.
USDA Certified Organic | Wheat free | Gluten free | Soy free | non-GMO
Ingredients (INCI): Carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil*, Euphorbia cerifera cera (candelilla) wax, Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil*, Ricinus communis (castor) seed oil*, Theobroma cacao (cacao) seed butter*, Limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, Tocopherol, Helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil
*certified organic ingredient 75% organic 12% wild grown 100% natural
Hurraw Balm is certified organic by the Montana Department of Agriculture (USDA Organic Regulations) and COSMOS Natural certified by Ecocert (EU Organic Certification Body).
*Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, *Cera Alba (Beeswax), Fair Trade Certified™ *Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, *Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, *Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lecithin, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Corthellus Shiitake (Mushroom) Extract, *Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mixed Toopherols (Vitamin E), *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, *Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Flower Extract, *Eupatorium Rebaudianum Bertoni (Stevia) Leaf Extract. *Certified Organic Ingredients
coconut oil*, castor, beeswax*, jojoba, lime, carnauba, wax*, cornmint leaf oil*, sunflower, spearmint, apricot, kernel oil*, aloe vera leaf juice*, licorice root extract*, plantain leaf extract*, rosemary, comfrey, tocopherol, citral limonene lina
Organic Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil*, Organic Beeswax, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Organic Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Tocopherol
Organic sunflower oil, organic beeswax, organic argan oil*, organic sweet almond oil, organic coconut oil, organic flavors, organic carrot seed oil, vitamin e, organic rosemary extract, organic calendula extract
Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Euphorbia cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) Butter, Natural Coconut Flavor, Mentha spicata (Spearmint) Oil
*Fair Trade Certified
helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, beeswax (cera alba), flavor (aroma ), ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, lanolin, ammonium glycyrrhizate, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, canola oil (huile de colza), glycine soja (soybean) oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, tocopherol, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, vanilla tahitensis fruit extract.
Helianthus Annuus (Organic Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Cera Alba (Organic Beeswax)*, Cocos Nucifera (Organic Coconut) Oil*, Mentha Piperita (Organic Peppermint) Oil*, Eucalyptus Globulus (OrganicEucalyptus) Oil*, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Organic Rosemary) Leaf Extract*, Calendula Officinalis (Organic Calendula) Flower Extract* *Certified Organic
Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Beeswax, Organic Castor Seed Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Coconut Oil, Mixed Tocopherols (Sunflower Derived Vitamin E), Organic Rosemary Extract, Organic Calendula Extract
Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed wax, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, olus (vegetable oil, huile vegetale), cera alba (beeswax, cire d’abeille), sclerocarya birrea seed oil, soybean glycerides, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, garcinia indica seed butter (Kokum Butter), butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter,butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, cymbopogon martini oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) oil, salvia sclarea (clary) oil, tocopherol, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, illicium verum (anise) fruit/seed oil, cananga odorata flower oil, glycine soja (soybean) oil, citric acid.
- Butylated hydroxyanisole. Toxicology Data Network. Environmental Health and Toxicology. 2017 Feb. 28.
- Jayalakshmi, C.P. and Sharma, J.D. Effect of butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) on rat erythrocytes. Environ Res. 1986 Oct;41(1):235-8.
- Ruszkiewicz, J.A. et al. Neurotoxic effect of active ingredients in sunscreen products, a contemporary review. Toxicol Rep. 2017; 4: 245–259.
- Darbre, P.D. et al. Concentrations of parabens in human breast tumours. J Appl Toxicol. 2004 Jan-Feb;24(1):5-13.
- Vrabie, C.M. Specific in vitro toxicity of crude and refined petroleum products: II. Estrogen (alpha and beta) and androgen receptor-mediated responses in yeast assays. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2010 Jul;29(7):1529-36.
- Cronin, J. and Stone, A. CSPI Says Food Dyes Pose Rainbow of Risks Cancer, Hyperactivity, Allergic Reactions. Center For Science In The Public Interest. June 29, 2010.
- Nudelman, J. and Engel, C. Right To Know. Exposing toxic fragrance chemicals in beauty, personal care and cleaning products. Breast Cancer Prevention Partners and Campaign For Safe Cosmetics. Sept. 2018.
- Synthetic Musks. Campaign For Safe Cosmetics. A Project of Breast Cancer Prevention Partners.