My Favorite Clean & Organic Everyday Lotion For Dry Skin
Clean up your skincare routine by swapping out your drugstore lotion with a clean, all-natural non-toxic lotion. From basic body lotion to luxurious body butter, I’m sharing the perfect body non-toxic lotion brands to moisturize your dry skin.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Between all of the hand washing and dry air this winter, my skin has taken a beating. If I’m not on top of moisturizing, I get lizard skin pretty quickly.
My desktop, bedstand and bathroom counter all have a container of lotion at the ready. And I’ve gotten choosy over the lotions I use. There are lots of conventional moisturizers that contain endocrine-disrupting chemicals that I don’t want on my body.
This Right To Know report on fragrance ingredients gives you a good idea of what isn’t disclosed on ingredient lists (cosmetics, skin care and cleaning products). Unfortunately there are products sold in stores right now that contain concerning levels of harmful chemicals.
The goal for me was to find an organic or clean (free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, and petrochemicals) lotion that had a low Environmental Working Group (EWG) Skin Deep score, worked within my budget and would lock in moisture, soothe my skin and keep it supple. I found 10 brands of clean, natural and organic lotion that I recommend and listed them below.
Conventional lotions may contain ingredients that are potentially harmful to your health. My daughter was gifted a bottle of Bath & Body Works Pink Cashmere lotion last year, and it’s still sitting in the bathroom. I looked through the ingredient list and found some concerning ingredients on the label: fragrance (see below), methylparaben, propylparaben, BHT and diazolindinyl urea (a formaldehyde releaser).
I’ve included a graphic at the end of this post to highlight the comparison between the Bath & Body Works Pink Cashmere Lotion and my favorite Acure Seriously Soothing 24hr Lotion. With the ingredient lists side by side, you’ll get a good idea of some of the harmful ingredients included in some conventional lotion formulations.
As a consumer and a parent, I prefer to use a lotion that’s free from any of the ingredients listed below that have the potential to affect my family’s health. We all have the power to make informed decisions about what we purchase. Here are some ingredients to look out for and avoid in hand and body lotion:
HOW DO MOISTURIZERS WORK?
Moisturizers replenish the skins moisture supply and trap that moisture from leaving the skin surface (11). Moisturizers provide water to the cell membranes on the top layer of skin, rehydrating and plumping cells in the outermost layer of skin. The occlusive substance in the moisturizer keeps the water from evaporating by forming a seal over the skin.
Clean, Non-Toxic Body Lotion
Acure Seriously Soothing 24hr Moisture Lotion
- Cost: $1.48 per ounce
- EWG Score: 2
- My Take: This is one of my top lotion picks. It had a medium consistency and made my hands feel super smooth after rubbing it in. I felt like I was rubbing in a cloud. The lotion had no scent and did not make my hands feel greasy at all.
- From the Acure website: Packed with cocoa butter, colloidal oatmeal and deeply moisturizing aloe. clinically shown to provide moisture for 24hrs when used as directed. 100% Vegan, Paraben free, Sulfate free, Mineral oil free, Petrolatum free, Formaldehyde free, Cruelty free.
- Shop: Acure Seriously Soothing 24hr Moisture Lotion
Attitude Super Leaves Body Cream
- Cost: $1.85 per ounce
- EWG Score: EWG Verified™
- My Take: I absolutely love this lotion – it’s very hydrating and rubs in easily. It’s one of my top picks. Attitude offers orange and lemon scents, a fragrance-free, and a baby lotion option.
- From the Attitude website: ATTITUDE’s Super leaves™ Nourishing Body Cream is enriched with the goodness of olive leaf extract known to help hydrate and soothe the skin. EWG Verified™, hypoallergenic and dermatologically-tested, this body cream includes moringa seed extract, known for its antipollution properties. Put the power of nature to work to give you a healthy and glowing skin!
- Shop: Attitude Super Leaves Body Cream
Babo Botanicals Sensitive Skin Hydratherapy Lotion- Fragrance Free
- Cost: $1.51 per ounce
- EWG score: New formula not yet rated
- My Take: This lotion is nice and thick, but still rubs in easily and doesn’t leave your skin feeling greasy. It had little to no smell when applying, and left my hands feeling soft and hydrated. Babo Botanicals products are free of parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, sulfates, formaldehyde, almonds/peanuts, soy, dairy, and gluten.
- From the Babo Botanicals website: An eczema lotion created for adults with very sensitive, dry or eczema prone skin. Non-greasy and lightweight texture immediately absorbs into the skin. Contains 2% Colloidal Oatmeal to help relieve, soothe, moisturize and heal. Natural Shea Butter, Sunflower and Sea Buckthorn Oil deeply moisturize. Hypoallergenic. Fragrance-free.
- Shop: Babo Botanicals Sensitive Skin Hydratherapy Lotion- Fragrance Free
All Good Coconut Body Lotion
- Cost: $2.67 per ounce
- EWG score: 1
- My Take: This lotion had a thick consistency and made my skin soft and hydrated. It rubbed in easily and wasn’t greasy at all.
- From the All good website: All Good Body Lotion repairs your dry skin for a youthful, non- greasy feel with rejuvenating organic botanical ingredients. We’ve taken care to produce the most soothing organic lotion possible with nature’s safest and most potent organic ingredients and medicinal plants. Free of all the worrisome chemicals and full of all good botanicals and beneficial oils. GMO Free, Gluten Free, Vegan, Non-nano, Biodegradable.
- Shop: All Good Coconut Body Lotion
Carina Organics Daily Moisturizing Cream
- Cost: $29.99 for 8 oz ($3.75 per ounce)
- EWG Score: 1
- From the Carina Organics website: An unscented daily moisturizing and hydrating skin cream formulated with natural and certified organic plant, vegetable, flower, and tree extracts. Replenishes essential oils and nutrients to dry skin within minutes.
- Shop: Carina Organics Daily Moisturizing Cream
100% Pure Whipped Body Butter
- Cost: $30 for 3.4 oz ($8.82 per ounce)
- My Take: This thick body butter has an irresistible scent. Even though it was thick, it rubbed in easily and didn’t leave a greasy residue.
- From the 100% Pure website: Thick and decadent body butter deeply moisturizes and softens using creamy cocoa, shea, and avocado butters, with added hydration from aloe and rose hydrosol.
- Shop: 100% Pure Whipped Body Butter
Weleda Skin Food Ultra-Rich Cream
- Cost: $15.06 for 2.5 oz or $6.03 per oz
- My Take: The fragrance in this formula comes from essential oils, and has a pleasant citrus and lavender scent. This cream is very thick and is a little hard to rub in, but once it’s absorbed, it makes your skin feel soft and moisturized without feeling too greasy. I use it at night before bed.
- From the Weleda website: Skin Food is a universal savior of dry, rough skin on faces, elbows, hands and feet. With extracts of gentle viola tricolor, calendula and chamomile, in a rich, thick base of oils and beeswax, Skin Food hydrates skin to give you a healthy-looking glow.
- Shop: Weleda Skin Food Ultra-Rich Cream
Evereden Healing Eczema Treatment
- Cost: $26 for 1.7 oz ($3.71 per ounce)
- From the Evereden website: A moisturizing and naturally-derived eczema cream that quickly relieves itchy skin, delivers lasting healing repair, and takes the worry away- all in a steroid-free formula. Formulated with our Barrier Restore Technology™ featuring naturally-derived anti-inflammatories: golden spent barley and quercetin, alongside skin-strengthening ceramides and colloidal oatmeal, this gentle-yet-powerful formula treats active flareups in babies, kids, and adults by clinically reducing skin redness & dryness by over 98%.**
- Shop: Evereden Healing Eczema Treatment