My Favorite Clean & Non-Toxic Everyday Lotion For Dry Skin
Clean up your skincare routine by swapping out your drugstore lotion with a clean, all-natural non-toxic lotion. From basic body lotion to luxurious body butter, I’m sharing the perfect body non-toxic lotion brands to moisturize your dry skin.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Between all of the hand washing and dry air this winter, my skin has taken a beating. If I’m not on top of moisturizing, I get lizard skin pretty quickly.
My desktop, bedstand and bathroom counter all have a container of lotion at the ready. And I’ve gotten choosy over the lotions I use. There are lots of conventional moisturizers that contain endocrine-disrupting chemicals that I don’t want on my body.
This Right To Know report on fragrance ingredients gives you a good idea of what isn’t disclosed on ingredient lists (cosmetics, skin care and cleaning products). Unfortunately there are products sold in stores right now that contain concerning levels of harmful chemicals.
The goal for me was to find an organic or clean (free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, and petrochemicals) lotion that had a low Environmental Working Group (EWG) Skin Deep score, worked within my budget and would lock in moisture, soothe my skin and keep it supple. I found 10 brands of clean, natural and organic lotion that I recommend and listed them below.
Conventional lotions may contain ingredients that are potentially harmful to your health. My daughter was gifted a bottle of Bath & Body Works Pink Cashmere lotion last year, and it’s still sitting in the bathroom. I looked through the ingredient list and found some concerning ingredients on the label: fragrance (see below), methylparaben, propylparaben, BHT and diazolindinyl urea (a formaldehyde releaser).
I’ve included a graphic at the end of this post to highlight the comparison between the Bath & Body Works Pink Cashmere Lotion and my favorite Acure Seriously Soothing 24hr Lotion. With the ingredient lists side by side, you’ll get a good idea of some of the harmful ingredients included in some conventional lotion formulations.
As a consumer and a parent, I prefer to use a lotion that’s free from any of the ingredients listed below that have the potential to affect my family’s health. We all have the power to make informed decisions about what we purchase. Here are some ingredients to look out for and avoid in hand and body lotion:
How Do Moisturizers Work?
Moisturizers replenish the skins moisture supply and trap that moisture from leaving the skin surface (11). Moisturizers provide water to the cell membranes on the top layer of skin, rehydrating and plumping cells in the outermost layer of skin. The occlusive substance in the moisturizer keeps the water from evaporating by forming a seal over the skin.
Beyond body lotion for adults, it’s important to use non-toxic lotion for kids– kids and babies are more vulnerable to harmful chemicals like endocrine disruptors, which can negatively impact their health. If you or a family member suffers from eczema or sensitive skin, you may need to specifically look for non-toxic products for eczema. Look below for the best non-toxic body lotion to moisturize your skin all year long.
Attitude Natural Body Cream
- Cost: $16.95 for 8 oz ($2.12 per ounce)
- Why I Love This Cream: This lotion is very hydrating, rich and moisturizing. It’s one of my top picks for super dry and irritated skin, especially in the winter when skin gets super dry. It’s on the thicker side, but rubs in easily and is not greasy after applying.
- Scents: Chamomile, Avocado Oil, Argan Oil, Unscented
- From the Attitude website: Carefully formulated with your sensitive skin in mind, this buttery natural body cream is enriched with oatmeal to wrap your skin in total comfort with a delicate floral scent. EWG Verified™.
- Shop: Attitude Natural Body Cream
Acure Seriously Soothing 24hr Moisture Lotion
- Cost: $13.99 for 8 oz ($1.75 per ounce)
- Why I Love This Lotion: This is one of my top lotion picks. It has a medium consistency and makes my hands feel super smooth after rubbing it in, and it feels light as a cloud. This lotion has no scent and does not make my hands feel greasy at all.
- From the Acure website: This lotion is packed with cocoa butter, colloidal oatmeal and deeply moisturizing aloe. It’s clinically shown to provide moisture for 24hrs when used as directed. 100% Vegan, Paraben free, Sulfate free, Mineral oil free, Petrolatum free, Formaldehyde free, Cruelty free.
- Shop: Acure Seriously Soothing 24hr Moisture Lotion
Honest Face + Body Lotion
- Cost: $11.99 for 8.5 oz ($1.42 per ounce)
- Why I love This Lotion: This is one of my favorites, and both of my kids agree. It has a medium consistency and made my hands feel super smooth after rubbing it in. This lotion has no scent and did not make my hands feel greasy at all.
- Scents: Fragrance Free, Lavender, Sweet Almond, Sweet Cream, Citrus Vanilla
- From the Honest website: Made with naturally derived ingredients, our gentle-for-babes Face + Body Lotion hydrates and nourishes thirsty skin, leaving it soft + smooth. Made with Safflower Oil, Jojoba Esters, Shea Butter and Vitamin E. Designed for all skin types, and gentle enough for baby.
- Shop: Honest Face + Body Lotion
All Good Coconut Body Lotion
- Cost: $17 for 6 oz ($2.83 per ounce)
- Why I Love This Lotion: This lotion had a thick consistency and made my skin soft and hydrated. It rubbed in easily and wasn’t greasy at all.
- Scents: Coconut, Jasmine Rose, Lavender
- From the All good website: All Good Body Lotion repairs your dry skin for a youthful, non- greasy feel with rejuvenating organic botanical ingredients. We’ve taken care to produce the most soothing organic lotion possible with nature’s safest and most potent organic ingredients and medicinal plants. Free of all the worrisome chemicals and full of all good botanicals and beneficial oils. GMO Free, Gluten Free, Vegan, Non-nano, Biodegradable.
- Shop: All Good Coconut Body Lotion
100% Pure Whipped Body Butter
- Cost: $30 for 3.4 oz ($8.82 per ounce)
- Why I Love This Body Butter: This thick body butter has an irresistible scent. Even though it was thick, it rubbed in easily and didn’t leave a greasy residue.
- From the 100% Pure website: Thick and decadent body butter deeply moisturizes and softens using creamy cocoa, shea, and avocado butters, with added hydration from aloe and rose hydrosol.
- Shop: 100% Pure Whipped Body Butter
Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Hand & Body Lotion
- Cost: $16.94 for 32 oz ($0.53 per ounce)
- Scents: Nourishing Lavender, Moisturizing Coconut, Refreshing Lemon, Revitalizing Peppermint, Aloe Unscented
- From the Avalon Organics website: Nourishing lavender essential oil, aloe, plant lipids and nutrient-rich beta-glucan work together to restore skin’s natural lipid balance. Long-lasting hydration instantly replenishes, rebalances and softens extra dry skin.
- Shop: Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Hand & Body Lotion
Weleda Skin Food Ultra-Rich Cream
- Cost: $16.07 for 2.5 oz or $6.33 per oz
- Why I Love This Cream: The fragrance in this formula comes from essential oils, and has a pleasant citrus and lavender scent. This cream is very thick and is a little hard to rub in, but once it’s absorbed, it makes your skin feel soft and moisturized without feeling too greasy. I use it at night before bed.
- From the Weleda website: Skin Food is a universal savior of dry, rough skin on faces, elbows, hands and feet. With extracts of gentle viola tricolor, calendula and chamomile, in a rich, thick base of oils and beeswax, Skin Food hydrates skin to give you a healthy-looking glow.
- Shop: Weleda Skin Food Ultra-Rich Cream
Primally Pure Body Butter
- Cost: $48 for 8 oz ($6 per ounce)
- Scents: Almond + Vanilla, Eucalyptu + Lavender, Citrus + Mint
- From the Primally Pure website: This body butter contains nourishing, non-toxic ingredients like natural almond and organic oils to restore the skin barrier to a balanced state. Rebuild moisture and rejuvenate skin with a vitamin-rich blend of botanicals and healthy fats in this natural body butter.
- Shop: Primally Pure Body Butter
Evereden Healing Eczema Treatment
- Cost: $26 for 1.7 oz ($3.71 per ounce)
- Why I Love This Treatment: My daughter, who is eczema-prone, is on her second tube and it really works!
- From the Evereden website: A moisturizing and naturally-derived eczema cream that quickly relieves itchy skin, delivers lasting healing repair, and takes the worry away- all in a steroid-free formula. Formulated with our Barrier Restore Technology™ featuring naturally-derived anti-inflammatories: golden spent barley and quercetin, alongside skin-strengthening ceramides and colloidal oatmeal, this gentle-yet-powerful formula treats active flareups in babies, kids, and adults by clinically reducing skin redness & dryness by over 98%.
- Shop: Evereden Healing Eczema Treatment