The Best Natural Dry Shampoo
Refresh your hair with natural dry shampoo. Swap out conventional dry shampoo for a clean version that supports a healthy scalp and absorbs oil with all-natural ingredients. I tested and reviewed 7 brands of natural dry shampoo and I have some favorites!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
When it comes to hair, mine is the perfect candidate for dry shampoo. It’s fine, thin and seems to attract every grease molecule around.
By the evening, I’ve got an oil slick on the top of my head. It wasn’t until a few years ago that my hairdresser suggested dry shampoo. Where has it been all my life?
If it’s the end of the day and I’ve got a school meeting or am heading out for a Target run, I use a little dry shampoo to make my hair more presentable (especially my side bangs). With just a teeny bit of dry shampoo rubbed into the roots, it works like a charm to get rid of that oily look.
How Does Dry Shampoo Work?
Your scalp is covered with hair follicles. These follicles produce sebum, the natural oil that keeps your scalp healthy and softens your hair. While a certain amount of natural oil is normal, excess oil buildup gives your hair a greasy look.
The starch in dry shampoo soaks up excess oil and grease in your hair and scalp. This gives your hair a cleaner, fresher, non-greasy appearance. No water necessary!
Do I Still Need To Wash My Hair?
Yes. Dry shampoo is not a replacement for washing your hair, it simply lengthens the time in between washing.
Are There Cons To Using Dry Shampoo?
Overuse of dry shampoo can dry out your hair, making it brittle and fragile. Your scalp may also start to feel itchy from overuse of dry shampoo.
Super dry hair is more vulnerable to heat damage and can break more easily. This is worst case scenario- just don’t use dry shampoo every single day.
How I Tested
I applied dry shampoo in the evening when my hair was the greasiest, or in the morning right after waking up. I applied each dry shampoo brand several times to get an idea of how well each product made my hair NOT look greasy and how well the dry shampoo volumized my hair. My 13 year old daughter also helped me test. She has a similar hair type (fine and thin), so it’s pretty easy to produce the same results.
Ingredients for all of the dry shampoo brands are listed at the end of this post.
Natural Dry Shampoo Brands Tested
Beauty By Earth Dry Shampoo & Volume Powder
- My take: The color of the powder is light tan, so it would still show up on super dark hair. It has a pleasant lavender scent, and it gave my hair nice volume and considerably reduced the grease factor. With the great price point and the fact that this product works so well, I would definitely buy this dry shampoo again.
- From the Beauty By Earth website: It’s time to rethink how you clean your hair. Swap out your regular routine for an organic dry shampoo to get the long, luscious, healthy locks you want. It’s the gentle way to deal with drab, drained, or dirty ‘dos.
Innersense Refresh Dry Shampoo
- Cost: $11.81/ounce
- My take: I love this dry shampoo. It comes in a pump container in liquid form. When pumped into your palm, it comes out as a foam. Apply the foam to your roots and it dries quickly as a powder (although it did not feel like a powder at all). I waited about 5 to 10 minutes for it to dry, but you could use a blow dryer to dry it faster. This dry shampoo adds really nice volume and also smells great (lemony and floral). The ingredient list is longer than the powdered dry shampoos that I tested, but I put all of the ingredients into the EWG Skin Deep database and I give it the “green” light. It does contain alcohol, so I wouldn’t use it every day (alcohol is drying). I love the fact that it’s not in powdered form. I don’t like the thought of breathing in a powder during application. This would be great for kids and teenagers if you’re worried about them breathing in a powder. I would highly recommend this dry shampoo, and even though it’s on the pricier side of all the dry shampoo, I would buy this dry shampoo again.
- From the Innersense website: A dry shampoo. This foam to powder dry shampoo eliminates excess oil, builds body, creates texture and renews second day hair. Tapioca starch and witch hazel help pull oil, while Certified Organic honey adds body and imparts shine. Works well with all hair types and colors.
Rahua Voluminous Dry Shampoo
- Cost: $17.78/ounce
- My take: This dry shampoo comes in white powder form. It definitely does the job of adding volume and getting rid of grease. It is one of the more expensive products I tested. I don’t think it’s any better than the cheaper dry shampoo brands I tried. The cons are that the applicator sends a big whoosh of powder everywhere and it was hard to control. It is supposed to be aimed at your roots, but the powder ended up coating the bottom half of my strands. It also has a chalky scent. Due to the price, I wouldn’t buy this dry shampoo again.
- From the Rahua website: Crafted with plant-based ingredients, our highly efficacious dry shampoo leaves hair and scalp clean and refreshed and makes styling effortless. Packaged in an environmentally friendly non-aerosol dispenser, it delivers texture, hold and volume. Best for all hair types.
Lulu Organics Dry Shampoo
- Cost: 28 ounce bottle ($7.00/ounce) or 1 ounce travel size ($12.85/ounce)
- My take: This dry shampoo did a decent job at taking care of grease, and it provided moderate volume.
- From the Lulu Organics website: The original, talc-free, organic dry shampoo powder. It will soak up oil at the root, give you extra body and leave your hair looking and smelling as fresh as a day-one wash. A must for any hair product collection. And with seven different scents to choose from, you are sure to find one you love! Talc Free / Vegan / Gluten Free / Handmade / Child Safe
Captain Blankenship Mermaid Dry Shampoo
- Cost: $2.92/ounce
- My take: This is a great affordable dry shampoo that takes care of grease and volumizes. Unfortunately the strong floral smell gave me a headache and I will not be able to use it again.
- From the Captain Blankenship website: A miracle worker. Our talc-free dry shampoo is the perfect solution to lifeless, unwashed hair. A powerful combination of powders absorbs oil, adds volume and gives life to your hair, plus it smells amazing. Sprinkle a little in whenever your hair needs an instant pick me up. Organic Arrowroot Powder and Kaolin Clay mattify greasy hair and add volume. Aluminum Free Baking Soda absorbs oil and adds freshness. Organic Essential Oils of Geranium and Palmarosa create a beachy rose smell.
Hair Dance Volumizing Dry Shampoo
- Cost: $9.99/ounce
- My Take: This is one of the more expensive dry shampoo options. It takes care of grease and moderately volumizes hair (see note below).
- From the Hair Dance website: Our 100% natural, vegan, and cruelty-free dry shampoo adds instant volume and leaves hair feeling silky and soft. Absorbs excess oil and adds instant volume to any hairstyle. Convenient to use and can be thrown in your purse for on-the-go application. Perfect for refreshing your hair during busy mornings when you don’t have time to wash your hair. Also great to use after any workouts, physical activities and excursions. Suitable for ALL hair colors: blonde, brunette, redheads, light and dark brown, and black. NO talc, parabens, baking soda, or phtalates.
- Note: This dry shampoo has silica listed as an ingredient. The silica in this dry shampoo is hydrated silica. It is recognized as safe for use in cosmetics, and you may find hydrated silica in toothpaste, foundation and other beauty products. The form of silica that causes silicosis is crystalline silica, and it’s a danger especially if you work in these fields: masonry, sandblasting, mining and countertop cutting. I’d still rather not be breathing silica into my lungs if there’s a whoosh of powder when applying. This is purely a personal preference.