The Best Non-Toxic Bath Products For Kids Of All Ages
From bubble bath to kids shampoo to soap, we’ve rounded up the best non-toxic bath products for kids of all ages. If you’re looking for the best clean, non-toxic bubble bath, body wash, soap, shampoo and conditioner for all of your children, this list has something for everyone!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
A good portion of children’s bath products claim to have safe and gentle formulas for babies and kids, yet a large number of these products contain ingredients that may be harmful to your child’s health.
The EWG surveyed more than 3,300 parents and found that children are exposed to 27 different unsafe and harmful chemicals in body care products on a daily basis. Some of these chemicals are associated with health risks like nervous system damage, cancer and hormone disruption. It’s more common than you think for products like kids bubble bath, body wash and shampoo to contain ingredients that pose a risk to children’s health.
Because kids are developing and growing so rapidly, their little bodies are especially vulnerable to toxic chemical exposure. Preventing exposure to toxic chemicals now will help to reduce any health issues your children might face in the future.
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID IN KIDS BATH PRODUCTS
- Sulfates (sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth ether sulfate (SLES))- These chemicals give drugstore shampoo plenty of foamy lather, yet they’re irritating to the scalp. They do a great job of removing dirt and oil from your hair, but in the process, they strip your hair and skin of natural oils that are essential for moisturizing. Sulfates can also inflame hair follicles.
- Parabens– Parabens are a type of preservative used to prevent the growth of bacteria and prolong the shelf life of lip balm, deodorant, lotion, and other beauty and personal care products. The most commonly used are methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, isobutylparaben and butylparaben. Based on a study conducted at the University of California Berkeley, researchers found that parabens were able to stimulate breast cancer cell growth, even at concentrations 100 times lower than the natural growth factor heregulin. These findings suggest that paraben exposure doesn’t have to be high to lead to cancer growth (1).
- Phthalates- Phthalates are used to increase the flexibility and transparency in plastics. They’re also found in personal care products, and they enhance product absorption, help products stick to your skin and keep fragrance smelling fresh. Phthalates mimic hormones, interrupting hormone production (2). A 2018 review found that current human exposure to phthalates may have effects on the male reproductive system (3).
- Polyethylene glycol– Polyethylene glycol is used to make personal care products thicker and better able to transport moisture to the skin. The manufacturing process introduces impurities and by-products, such as ethylene oxides and 1,4-dioxane, which are known carcinogenic materials (4).
- Synthetic fragrance- Synthetic Fragrance may contain carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, allergens, respiratory irritants and neurotoxic chemicals (5). Synthetic musks like galaxolide and tonalide, are linked to hormone disruption (6). Fragrance formulations also contain phthalates, which are hormone disruptors.
WHAT IS THE EWG RATING?
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is a non-profit group that specializes in research and advocacy of toxic chemicals, environmental pollutants and corporate accountability. How does EWG score products? The EWG rates products on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the safest, and 10 being the most concerning. The EWG also marks products as EWG VERIFIED™, meaning the product meets the strictest ingredient and manufacturing standards. EWG VERIFIED™ products don’t contain any ingredients the EWG has identified as unacceptable.
From bubble bath to kids shampoo to soap, we’ve rounded up the best bath and body products for kids of all ages. Look below for the best clean bubble bath, body wash, soap, shampoo and conditioner for all of your children.
If you’re looking for clean, non-toxic hair detangler and leave-in conditioner recommendations for kids, see my top picks here.