The Best Natural Deodorant For Teens & Stinky Kids
If your maturing kid, tween or teen has smelly pits, give them natural deodorant to combat body odor. My top natural deodorant picks leave kids stink-free without using harmful chemicals. Look below for clean and natural deodorant that’s perfect for kids, tweens, teenagers and even adults!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Whether your child is a teenager, tween or maturing kid, body odor is an issue that most growing children will have to address at some point. With the onset of puberty, increased hormone levels cause the sweat glands to produce and secrete more sweat. When this sweat interacts with the bacteria found in the underarm area, it causes body odor.
There are tons of deodorant options on the market to keep your kids from stinking, but a large portion of them contain ingredients that may be harmful to your child’s health.
Because kids are developing and growing so rapidly, their bodies are especially vulnerable to toxic chemical exposure. Preventing exposure to toxic chemicals now will help to intercept any health issues your children might face in the future.
WHAT CAUSES UNDERARM BODY ODOR?
Our bodies sweat to cool down from heat, physical exertion (exercise) and when we’re nervous or stressed. But sweat alone isn’t what produces body odor. It’s the interaction of sweat and bacteria on our skin that causes body odor. You’ve probably heard about the gut microbiome, but we also have a bacterial microbiome on our skin too. In the underarm area, bacteria break down sweat, and the byproducts are compounds called thioalcohols. Thioalcohols have a stinky smell that’s responsible for body odor. This stinky odor is what we’re all trying to avoid by using deodorant.
ANTIPERSPIRANT VERSUS DEODORANT
- Antiperspirant works by blocking sweat from leaving your body. The aluminum compounds in antiperspirant physically plug up the pores in your underarm so sweat can’t escape. Without any sweat, bacteria have nothing to break down, so there’s no odor. For more information on ingredients to avoid, scroll to the end of this post.
- Deodorant doesn’t contain pore-plugging aluminum, so you’ll still sweat with deodorant. Deodorant is designed to kill the bacteria that cause odor. Deodorants contain ingredients that absorb sweat and balance underarm pH levels. They may also contain fragrance to mask smell. For more information on what ingredients to avoid, scroll to the end of this post for ingredients to avoid in your child’s deodorant.
WHY IS SWEATING GOOD FOR YOU?
- Sweating is good for regulating your body temperature, speeding recovery after exercise, promoting healthier skin, lowering stress hormones, and defeating harmful microbes.
- Sweating also rids the body of excess heavy metals and endocrine disruptors. A 2016 review summarized studies where the heavy metals arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury were detected in sweat, suggesting that sweat may be an important route for excretion of these heavy metals (1).
- Sweating has been shown to eliminate PCBs (2) and the endocrine disruptor BPA from the body (3). Always remember that avoidance in the first place is better than having to detox!
I’ve rounded up 12 clean & natural deodorant brands that don’t contain harmful chemicals and will keep your kids stink-free all day long. If you want to tame your child’s body odor, look below for the best clean and natural deodorant for growing kids, tweens and teens. From maximum protection to baking soda-free for sensitive skin, there’s a natural deodorant option for every growing child!