11 Non-Toxic, Clean Burning Candles For A Healthy Home
If you’re burning conventional paraffin candles, you may be polluting the air in your home. Cozy up to a clean-burning, non-toxic candle for a relaxing home ritual without the harmful chemicals.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
A burning candle creates a cozy atmosphere that signals our senses to slow down and relax. The scent of a candle adds a layer of familiarity that can transport you to a fall day of apple pie baking, a winter night snuggled by the fire or a sunny summer day lounging on a picnic blanket. With all the cozy feelings a candle can bring, conventional candles can also cause allergies, breathing problems and headaches, and may contain chemicals that pose a risk to your health.
WHAT TO AVOID WHEN BUYING CANDLES
- Paraffin Wax– Paraffin is a petroleum-derived wax that releases chemicals into the air when burned. The EPA released a report in 2001 indicating that paraffin wax candles cause indoor air pollution. In a 2009 study by South Carolina State University, researchers measured air quality after burning unscented paraffin wax candles and soy wax candles. The paraffin wax candles produced alkans, alkenes and toluene, which can cause health issues in humans, while the soy wax candles did not produce any harmful off-gassing.
- Metal Wicks– Lead was banned from candle wicks in 2003, but there are other types of metal used to keep a cotton wick upright. As the wick burns, heavy metal particles disperse through the air.
- Synthetic Fragrance– Fragrance can contain hundreds of chemicals in one formula. The addition of phthalates is a big health concern in fragrance formulations. Phthalates are widely used in fragrance formulations as solvents and fixatives to make scents last longer, but this chemical can mimic hormones in the human body.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A NON-TOXIC CANDLE
- Wax: Some companies are tricky with words and blend soy or beeswax with paraffin, so look for 100% soy wax, 100% beeswax, 100% coconut wax or 100% vegetable-based wax.
- Wick: Look for a cotton or hemp wick.
- Scent: 100% pure essential oils or phthalate-free fragrance (from a reputable company)
From soothing self-care essentials to hostess and holiday gift ideas, non-toxic candles are the perfect way to create a cozy and relaxing atmosphere for the home. We’ve found 11 brands of non-toxic candles that give you all the cozy feels without the harmful chemicals.